For this academic year, there were Five learning goals.
1. Students can recognize and sound out the 37 symbols
2. Students can recognize which word starts/contains with which symbol
3. Students can sound out 21 two-conjunctive symbols
4. Students can recognize high frequency Chinese characters
5. Students can make simple Chinese conversation with teacher and students in the class
The learning goals in pre-k do not focus on writing . The main goal is to recognize the 37 symbols in BOPOMOFO (Goal 1) in order to ease the transition in the Kindergarten in which students will learn how to sound out the conjunctive symbols. It’s boring and scattered if the leaning is only focusing on the 37 symbols. Thus, in the curriculum, the teacher will focus on asking students to know which word/character includes which symbol (Goal 2).
During the two-hour session, the teacher will try different ways to keep students’ learning motivation growing, such as, telling stories, singing songs, and making projects. By doing this, students will also have a chance to review what they have learned again. Each session will also include one subject (such as, Sharing). Doing this way, except for learning symbols, students will also learn something new in the other areas.